Overview - Health Department & Boards
Three boards, authorized by state statute, govern the Missoula City-County Health Department (MCCHD):
- Missoula City-County Board of Health (BOH)
- Missoula City-County Air Pollution Control Board (APCB)
- Missoula Valley Water Quality District Board (WQDB)
Read more about the relationship between the department and boards; their authority, and more: Organizational Description
Vision, Mission, Guiding Principles & Strategic Plan
The shared vision of the health department and the boards is Health for All.
- Guiding Principles
- Strategic Plan: FY 2019 - 2021 (Adopted 10/18/18 by the Board of Health)
Board of Health (BOH): This board is the policy-making body that determines the goals, objectives, and programs for the delivery of public health services to Missoula residents, both city and county. The Board has statutory authority and responsibility, including rule-making and adjudication, as well as budgeting authority. The Board is responsible for selecting the Health Officer, who carries out statutory duties and directs the health department.
Air Pollution Control Board (APCB): This board administers matters pertaining to the Missoula City-County Air Pollution Control Program in order to require the use of all available practicable methods to reduce, prevent and control air pollution in the city and county.
Water Quality District Board (WQDB): This board administers matters pertaining to the Missoula Valley Water Quality Ordinance in order to protect the Missoula Valley's sole source of drinking water and surface waters in the Missoula Valley and to secure and promote the general public health, safety and welfare.
Meetings of the Health, Air Pollution Control and Water Quality District Boards are open to the public. The monthly meetings are usually held on the third Thursday of the month. The order of the meetings is usually Water, Health and then Air.
- Meeting Order: See the agenda for a given date.
- Time: 12:15 to 3:00 p.m.
- Location: Board Conference Room (210), Missoula City-County Health Department, 301 West Alder.
- Other: Meeting dates and times are subject to change or cancellation. Meeting order and agenda items are also subject to change.
If you have questions, or would like to be added to our Interested Parties list, e-mail Julie Mohr, Support Services Administrator, Health Administration at the Missoula City-County Health Department or call her at (406) 258-3376.
The work of each board is supported by an advisory council:
- Maternal Child Health Advisory Council (MCHAC) -- The Maternal Child Health Advisory Council (MCHAC) is a volunteer council that provides support to the Board of Health for the purpose of promoting maternal and child health in Missoula County.
- Air Quality Advisory Council (AQAC) -- The Air Quality Advisory Council (AQAC) is a volunteer council of technical experts, business and industry professionals, citizens-at-large and staff from the Missoula City-County Health Department who provide consultation to the Air Pollution Control Board for the purpose of improving air quality.
- Water Quality Advisory Council (WQAC) -- The Water Quality Advisory Council (WQAC) is a volunteer council that provides consultation to the Water Quality District Board for the purpose of protecting, maintaining, and restoring the chemical, physical, and biological integrity of the waters of Missoula County.